Many adult ESL classes are multilevel, combining several CLB levels or types of learners (ESL and ESL Literacy). The following strategies can facilitate PBLA implementation in multilevel classes:
- Group learners together for learning activities and assessment tasks.
- For a particular task, use the same text but differentiate the activity according to level, or use different texts and have learners do the same For example, for a CLB 2-3 task that involves writing about a class event, the CLB 2 learners could complete sentence stems while the CLB 3 learners write complete sentences. Follow a similar process in reflection activities.
- Develop assessment tasks that address more than one level.
- Assess different groups of learners on different days.
- Use volunteers (if possible) who can support instruction in the classroom.
For more information on assessment in multilevel classrooms, see Integrating CLB Assessment into your ESL Classroom, Chapter 5: Adapting Assessment for Multilevel Classrooms. For information on multilevel assessment in adult ESL Literacy classes, see the CLB ESL for ALL Support Kit, Chapter IV, Supporting Learners with Literacy Needs. Also see the CCLB Professional Learning Sessions on the CCLB website (language.ca) for detailed information about implementing PBLA in multilevel classes.