The CCLB is pleased to be introducing a new initiative to support PBLA implementation. The PBLA Lead Teacher/Instructor Prior Learning Assessment Review (PLAR) an alternative to the PBLA Lead Teacher/Instructor Foundation Course. The PLAR process expedites PBLA Lead Teacher/Instructor certification for individuals who are experienced in using PBLA in the classroom. As an alternative to completing the PBLA Lead Teacher/Instructor Foundation course, eligible classroom teachers may submit specific evidence of their understanding and skill in key PBLA concepts, principles and strategies.
Here are the key points regarding PLAR
- PLAR is available to organizations that have faced Lead Teacher/Instructor attrition.
- PLAR allows organizations that have gone through Implementation phase, the path to fast track certification of qualified classroom teachers/instructors to step into the role as a Lead Teacher/Instructor
- Please remember this is not a new training – it is an assessment of the classroom teacher’s PBLA practice
- PLAR is open to teachers/instructors with a minimum of 32 weeks of PBLA classroom experience
- Administrators must submit to the CCLB the 4 eligibility requirements of their candidates prior to the classroom teacher submitting their PLAR application materials.
- Following CCLB approval, the PLAR candidate will be provided the enrolment key to access the PBLA PLAR Library. The PLAR Library provides support to a successful submission.
ELIGIBILITY FOR PLAR
Individuals who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply for a PBLA Lead Teacher/Instructor PLAR.
|1. TESL CERTIFICATE
|A TESL certificate from a TESL program recognized by TESL Canada or TESL Ontario.
||Copy of TESL certificate or equivalent
|2. INTRO TO PBLA
Introduction to PBLA through ONE of the following:
- Participation in all the CCLB developed PBLA Implementation Package workshops
- Successful completion of the CCLB’s six-week online course, Intro to PBLA
- Successful completion of a post-secondary credit course that addresses CLB-based planning, teaching and/or assessment, including a focus on PBLA
- Certificate of Participation, or
- Written confirmation by Administrator
- CCLB confirmation
- Course description from calendar and copy of transcript
|3. PBLA EXPERIENCE IN THE CLASSROOM
|Minimum of 32 weeks of using PBLA in the classroom
||Written confirmation by Administrator
|4. RECOMMENDATION FROM ADMINISTRATOR
|Recommendation for PBLA Lead Instructor certification. The letter should address:
- The program’s intention to assign the individual as a LI on certification
- The applicant’s qualities as a classroom teacher
- The applicant’s experience using PBLA in the classroom
- The applicant’s leadership qualities
- The applicant’s openness to new ideas and change
|Letter of recommendation from the program administrator/coordinator
N.B. This letter must be received by the CCLB prior to adjudication of the candidate’s application.
Please email [email protected] for more information regarding PLAR.